(Daw’r atgofion hyn trwy law Dai Boobier. Diolch iddo amdanyn nhw ac am ganiatâd teulu Haulwen Williams i’w cynnwys ar wefan Côr Meibion Taf.)

Ganed fy mam, Catherine Mary “Cit” Davies, yn Nhreorci yn 1922. Bu hi’n fyfyrwraig yng Ngholeg Hyfforddi Athrawon Abertawe yn Mayhill cyn cymhwyso fel athrawes a dechrau dysgu mewn ysgolion cynradd yng Nghaerdydd.

Roedd hi yn y coleg rhwng 1940 a 1943 yn ystod y bomio. Soniodd yn aml am y cyfnod yma pryd bu’n rhaid iddi adael y coleg a’r neuadd breswyl ar sawl achlysur i fynd i’r “shelters” tanddaearol yn ystod y nos. Roedd yn gyfnod brawychus iddi hi a’i chyd-fyfyrwyr.

Un arall oedd yn fyfyrwraig yno yn yr un cyfnod oedd Haulwen Williams. Roedd Haulwen Williams (née Price) yn fam i Siân Rhiannon a Wyn ac yn fam yng nghyfraith i Euros Rhys. Dyma atgofion Haulwen Williams am y tridiau y bomiwyd Abertawe 80 mlynedd yn ôl.

“One Friday night in February in our first year, we had been in our choir lesson when the siren went and we all rushed to the shelters. I was unlucky enough to be sleeping on a mattress on the wooden bench up against the door. It was not very comfortable and one poor girl was crying. We could hear the planes, and knew who they belonged to by the sound of their engines. We had got to know the sound of the British bomber planes and the different sound of the German bombers – an intermittent roar. These engines seemed to be intermittent. The big guns at the bottom of the hill went off. They thudded and boomed, and the big thuds shook the college over and over. We knew something was happening. The lecturers had been
outside wearing their tin hats and one came to tell us that a raid was on and that we would be staying down in the shelters.

We got up next morning and rushed to our windows to see if the civic centre down below was still standing. We were reassured when we saw that it was intact. But Stacy, the college caretaker, told us that we had incendiaries all around the college and that some houses had gone up on Townhill. This was the first of three terrible raids on Swansea when the shops and town were destroyed. A church was hit with people in a shelter below it killed. Swansea was blitzed, and for three consecutive nights we had to stay in the shelters.

After the bombing we were not allowed out of college. We had no heat and no water, and it was very cold. The condensation caused the moisture to run down the walls. We had pilchards for breakfast and all cold meals of tinned herrings and pickled walnuts to eat (horrible) until the soldiers from down below came and made a fire in the grounds and roasted potatoes for us. They arranged for water tanks to be brought up to us, and we were allowed a preserve jar each of water to wash ourselves with. Miss Robbins (The Bird) tried to demonstrate to us how we could sponge ourselves all over with this small amount. This made us laugh as she was enormous!

Some girls who lived in Swansea were allowed home, but the rest of us had to stay.When eventually we were allowed to go down town, we didn’t recognise any of it, just piles of rubble and a dreadful smell. What a shock it was to see the centre of Swansea flat and in ruins – they said in Rhymney they could see the sky all red as Sketty oil works burned.”